Friday, 22 January 2010

Rinpa Eshidan



I randomly browsed through youtube and found a video made by an art crew who named themselves "Rinpa Eshidan." I like the experimental approach to "perform" the art works rather than exhibiting the completed works. I think they are amazing, and I am their anonymous fan.

I was disappointed with the critical reaction that this video (above) has received from their native country, Japan. The viewers' comments were negative and rarely complementary.

The viewers were offended by the title of the video, which translates as "Welcome to Youtube Japan." One of the viewers stated that youtube is an international site, and that this video was a disgrace for trying to represent the art in Japan. It's true that what they do isn't very "Japanese", but come on... The world today is becoming more globalized. There are artists who are influenced by cultures other than their own (A good example would be Simone Legno from Tokidoki). One person commented, "日本と関係ないだろ," meaning "This has nothing to do with Japan." I can't believe that these artists are being criticised just because they put the word, "Japan" in the video title.

I'm not saying it's bad to express opinions but damn, some of the comments are just plain nasty. Like one of the comments was "日本の恥ッッッ!!" meaning "An embarrassment to Japan," which received +9 positive points in youtube. Someone else wrote, "日本人が本当に馬鹿に見えるからやめろ", meaning "Japanese people look seriously stupid (because of this video) so stop it." Another commented, "日本人はこのようなことはしない" meaning "Japanese people don't do things like this." Maybe the art crew has done something wrong, like vandalising the streets and buildings of Japan. Is that why people hate them? I highly doubt it.

Some of the other comments were like, "ゴミ虫消えてね" meaning "Disappear pest/garbage bug." "社会のゴミ" meaning "Society's garbage." "しねぇえええええええええええええええええええええええええええ" meaning "DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE." I don't know... Maybe it's just me. Am I just overreacting a little bit? But at least I don't say weird shit like "DIE PEST" to artists when I don't like their works.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Japan or those viewers who commented. I just find it really surprising to see artists being bashed for their passion. Is patriotism necessary when you look at a piece of art work?

You can check out more of Rinpa Eshidan's works at this site and this site.

Note: I thought this work was the coolest=)

No comments: